Monday, January 26, 2009

off for some country music

As many of you know, I would only attend (and admit to attending) a county music show... in Mongolia. I taught class this morning, graded exams, prepped for tomorrow, and now I'm going to walk back to MRPAM, where I'm meeting Ena.

At 6:30 we're driving over to the Wrestling Palace to catch traditional Mongolian country music.

P.S. I missed a Yes! concert on Saturday. Can't win em all...

P.S.S. I've been a little homesick over the past day or two, so I think this'll help. The moment of homesickness came on when I realized that:
1) I haven't had a single stranger hold open a door for me in the past 3 weeks (perhaps it's to keep as little cold air as possible from seeping inside)

and

2) when I tried to explain the word "acknowledge" to my students last Friday, I thought I could explain it by describing different ways we 'acknowledge' the people we pass in the hallways (quick smile, head nod, short eye contact). My students remained confused. "Acknowledge?" Yeah, people don't really do that to strangers in Mongolia...

I'm lucky to have such good friends here - they really are wonderful, fun, good people... but I'm ready to be in the cocoon of friends and family and community in Denver. I've still got 5 more weeks, so I best be making the best of it!

No comments: